Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 2 - walking/jogging on inclines

Got up early and went to the gym for 45 minutes of walking/jogging on inclines. Regis and Kelly was on so it went by quickly. Trying to build up to actually running on the treadmill. I'm starting a job next week and will no longer have leisurely mornings 2 days a week... it will be an interesting transition in terms of getting exercise in!

I belong to a gym I seriously dislike, and already canceled my membership, which is not effective until the end of March. In the meantime, I've been checking out other gyms by doing free trials... it's a great way to discover new equipment and decide what is really important in a gym. So far I've tried Equilibrium, which was nice but a little too silent for me (it's weird being the ONLY person in a gym), and Sports Club LA(next to the Boston Ritz-Carlton), which is extravagant, yet quite possibly the most enjoyable gym experience I've ever had. 2 massive floors of cardio, a completely silent floor for yoga/pilates/meditation, an incredibly clean bathroom with sparkling showers, steam room and sauna, and a gorgeous Jr. Olympic size pool. Not to mention the ridiculous views of Boston Common from almost all the cardio equipment. With the $150+ monthly price tag + $300+ initiation fee, I think it's safe to say I won't be joining this gym anytime soon (or ever), but I suggest checking out the 4-day trial to get back into gym mode!

I'll be trying Healthworks and Equinox trials next. I'm sure I'll end up at Planet Fitness for only $10 a month... but it's nice to check out what's available! Any suggestions for affordable gyms in Boston??

2 comments:

  1. How do you get the free trials? Do you just go in? And can you get it at any gym? The only gym I have tried in the city that wasn't Northeastern's is Forever Fit in Watertown, which is great, but would be quite the commute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually google the gym name and "free trial" and something comes up. Here's the Sports Club LA Free Trial (and they haven't even called me yet to see if I want to join!) And there's something called GymTicket which you can print guest passes to for lots of different gyms!

    ReplyDelete