Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A new goal...

Although I wouldn't call myself very religious (I'm the church on Easter and Christmas type, which I'm neither proud of nor embarrassed of... to each his own), I think the concept of Lent is an interesting one and allows for self-reflection. Mid-February is the time when skies are gray, weather is cold, being single is blatantly obvious, and summer is too far away. Every February I think, "it's time for a change..." and as soon as the thought crosses my mind, I see someone on the street who I always come close to telling, "there's something on your face", and realize, it's Ash Wednesday. Lent begins. Time to put that "change" into motion. It always tends to creep up on me, which means I don't have much time to mentally prepare for "giving up" something for 40 days. I often make a split-second decision and actually tend to stick to it. I guess it's knowing that so many others are in the same boat, and there is a guilt-factor behind it.

Every year since I can remember, I gave up bagels for Lent. Last year I took it a step further and gave up bread. Since I'm not ready to give up carbs entirely (and spring break, St. Patrick's Day, and my birthday all fall within the next 40 days), I'm taking a new route this year and giving up "being lazy." I vow to do physical activity every day for the next 40 days, a plan that I hope continues beyond the 40 days. I used to love running and going to the gym, and right now I despise it. I want to get back to that point where it is an enjoyable experience. I figure blogging about it may keep me on track, or at least be an interesting way to document all the different ways to get into shape. I'd love any suggestions along the way!

So it begins. Tonight I took an hour-long mat pilates class across the street at the studio I've been to quite a few times: North End Yoga. The studio is literally across the street, so it's a great choice if the weather is not great. The instructors are helpful and the environment is unintimidating. I really like doing pilates... I just wish I was more flexible! They have a student rate of $14/class. If you've never done pilates, I suggest you try it! It's low-impact but you will be sore in muscles you didn't even know you had. I'm a big fan. If you're in NYC, I suggest Center for Movement. They have awesome tower classes and it's also an unintimdating environment. Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment