Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 5 - Vinyasa Yoga

So last week after pilates I asked the instructor what I could do to increase flexibility, as there are many pilates moves that I simply cannot due because of my tight hamstrings/calves/hip flexors. She said I should try yoga to loosen up. I've done yoga before, but only at a gym, never at a private studio. I decided tonight would be a good time to do it, and I signed up across the street at North End Yoga. I had a super stressful day of driving - I signed up for ZipCar to go to my friend's baby shower. First, I rented a Prius, and get in, and realize there are no keys! Just a power button. I press it and nothing happens. I try multiple combinations of power + ZipCar card + seatbelt on (thought maybe it wouldn't turn on without my seatbelt) for about 15 minutes. Finally, I press on the brake and figure out the car won't start until you press in the brake!!! Please take note - anyone that may need to use a Hybrid car in the future.

Anyway, with the whole ZipCar idea I did not factor in getting lost. Being that it is basically the only time I've driven around Boston, this was a foolish mistake. I got about 45 minutes lost on the way there and 50 minutes lost on the way back. I needed to get the ZipCar back by 3 to avoid a late charge, and pulled into the spot at 3:40. Needless to say, I was panicked and nervous. I figured yoga would be a good way to calm down, as well as get in my fitness for the day!

It turns out... I. AM. NOT. MEANT. FOR. YOGA. I couldn't do more than half the moves due to my poor balance and flexibility. Not to mention, I don't think I buy into the whole meditation thing. Today's theme was "neutrality", and we were asked to choose a "neutral" person in our life and make the session about that person. She mentioned a coffee barista we may see every day as an example. I chose the security guard (an older, kind man) at school. The instructor told us to think of this "neutral person" and bring energy out of our body into this person's life or something like that. I had to suppress laughter the ENTIRE time. I kept picturing sparkles floating from my feet into the security guard's little cubicle. I don't think I'll be able to see him tomorrow without cracking up.

The session was 1 hr 15 mins... and the last 15 minutes... we slept!!! Or at least that's what I did. We were asked to lie flat on our backs with eyes closed and do the Vinyasa breathing technique (which I could not figure out for the life of me.) I swear it was a full 15 minutes that we lied there before getting up and ending the session with a long hum. I just don't think I can take it seriously right now. Maybe if I learned more about the art of yoga, I would not think it was funny. I do have to say I am completely relaxed right now, and I did sweat, and my muscles are semi-sore, so I did get what I wanted out of it. I just don't think I'll do it again. I'm glad I tried though.

No comments:

Post a Comment